Framing new floow

Old 08-05-13, 10:03 AM
Framing new floow

I have a double car garage that has a high roof due to the slope of the lot. It's 14' from the garage floor to the bottom of the ridge beem of the roof joist. Eventually, I may turn this into an additional room for the home. In the short term, I'd like to put in a floor so I can use the space for storage (unheated). The garage is ~18' x ~18'. I assume I need an 18' manufactured beam to run down the middle (sitting on jack posts or something similar) and I attach the floor joists to the beam. Question is, how to I attach the floor joists to the wall as there's no header beam?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-13, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got a picture.
Think you have some terms mixed up. A header would be what's used over a door or window to support the roof over the span.
What's the span from the floor to the ceiling joist, not the ridge beam.
Is this an unfinished garage?

Old 08-05-13, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
At each end of your LVL composite you would construct double jacks to rest them on. Not sure if that answered your question or not. At 18' you should have no problem with a double 9 1/4" LVL without center support, UNLESS you proceed to installing flooring for a living area. A structural engineer would best address this since you will be needing to permit the job anyway.....you know, electrical, plumbing, etc.