Fasteners for joist hanger

Old 08-10-13, 04:09 PM
Fasteners for joist hanger

I am working on a remodel and am replacing the ceiling 2*4 that will hold the drywall ceiling. I am also building a new wall that means I have to extend them about 15". I need to attach these new 2*4 with joist hangers. Wondering what the best fastener is.

Construction screws? 1 1/2" ring shank nails? Common nails?

There isn't going to be down force per say except the drywall.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-13, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Joist hangers use special nails to keep their rating...they are basically short framing nails...sold right where the hangers are.

If you look at the Simpson Strong-Tie site, they give very complete instructions. I don't think screws are an option...best to check for the type hangers you are using...even if it's not the same brand.

Old 08-10-13, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How long a span is this?
A 2 X 4 is way undersized for a joist if it's over about 6'.
Screws can not be used. Not enough shear strength. Hanger nails only, with one 16D per side where the angle holes are! I like to use galvanized spiral nails.
General Instructions for the Installer

Old 08-10-13, 07:01 PM
This isn't a joist as in a floor joist or anything like that. It will hold drywall only. The old ones coming down were 14' and the new ones are 15'. The old ones were 2*4 and pretty much toast and allowing the bow, only reason I am replacing.

Nails are doable no problem. I just had screws available to me but I also have the nails.

Old 08-11-13, 06:24 AM
15' is a long span for a 2X4, it's going to be bouncy and sag from the weight of the drywall. I would tie each one to the rafters above with a piece of 1X3 mid span or even in 2 places.

Old 08-11-13, 06:44 AM
I already am doing that as well. They are off set from the floor joist above them. I plan to tie the middles together and run a "support" board in the middle to the joists above to help with the sag. I was going to do the middle, but two would be even better.

Search this Thread