Making a double wall to recess fridge

Old 08-18-13, 04:13 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Making a double wall to recess fridge

Forgive me while I try to explain this as I am not up to speed on proper terminology.

We have a standard size fridge and do not want to spend the $ for a cabinet depth unit. It is going against a small section of load bearing wall, 8' long that will house the fridge and both wall and base cabinets. I want to recess the fridge, but don't want to deal with the load bearing wall and basically make a "doorway" for the fridge to fit in as some have suggested. Here is my idea:

Instead of recess the fridge, bring the cabinets out to meet it. I want to put a "second wall" against the current wall. Basically strip it of dry wall, make a new wall per code and but it up against the current wall studs where the cabinets will be (with leftover studs and top/bottom plate, so free!) and then run all electrical on it, dry wall and hang cabinets.

Basically a 2x8 width wall by doubling it with a non load bearing 2x4 wall attached to it. Make sense?

I don't mind losing the 4" in floor space, so I just want to make sure this can/would be to code (California) or if this is something you would do if you wanted to recess a fridge in a load bearing wall with only 5' of cabinets on one side and 1' on the other, and it wouldn't cost anything.

Old 08-18-13, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As always, check with your jurisdictional authority for local code issues. I don't see how it would violate code, since it has no load bearing qualities. The only problem you will have is extending your electrical without splicing. You would have to change positions with the first receptacle in line on both circuits to make prudent use of the slack, then wire the remaining receptacles to the two GFCI protected circuits through your new framing. If there is any plumbing on this wall, same considerations take place.

Old 08-18-13, 06:28 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I will be re-doing the electrical so no worries there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: