bracing shed trusses

Old 08-21-13, 07:38 AM
bracing shed trusses

I have built a 10x14 shed and put sheathing on the walls. I am ready to lay the trusses on the double top plate. And will be attaching them with the plate connectors and H1 hurricane ties. The trusses are premade and are a simple kingpost trust 10 wide with a 6 inch overhang on both sides. The shed when looking at it runs 14 wide by 10 deep. There are 8 trusses spaced 24OC. The truss diagram States top chord bracing as structural wood sheathing or 6-0-0 or purlins. Bottom chord is rigid ceiling or 10-0-0 oc bracing. The pitch is 8/12.

I was planning on running lateral bracing using 2x4x8 over the first 4 trusses, the next 4 trusses, and then the middle trusses forming the continuous brace. I was then going to diagonal brace in a similar manner on the single kingposts across the trusses. Is this correct or overkill?

Also the truss diagram says stabilizers and cross bracing are recommended during installation. Would these be temporary or permanent? And what would they be made of?
Thank you

Ty163

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-13, 05:24 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like overkill to me. Cross bracing sounds like it would be wood. I'd leave them there.

Old 08-23-13, 01:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Run your 2x4's on the underside of the trusses about half way up on both sides to keep them spread evenly. Cross bracing from the end truss to a bottom chord keeps it all from falling over during construction. I like leaving mine in place unless the attic space is going to be used, which, with trusses, is seldom unless beefed up for weight. It is more of a labor thing than safety. It's there, so why pay someone to remove it?