Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Prepping for Hardwood: SCREWS + EXISTING NAILS into SUBFLOOR OVERKILL?

Old 08-28-13, 10:29 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I've read various threads about using deck screws to eliminate squeaks in the sub-floor and have found them insightful.

I'm renovating a two story house built in 1984 and recently ripped out the carpet on the 2nd floor to install hardwood floors. It's a split level home and the 1st floor is on a concrete slab. My father-in-law was the original builder of the house and noted that they used 2" twisted shank nails along with sub-floor adhesive to secure the 3/4" sub-floor to the joist. Nevertheless, after 29 years the heavily traveled parts of the floor have developed squeaks.

For those area, I'm removing these nails and securing them with Grip Rite #8 2.0" T-20 Torx Deck Srews. But I can't help but wonder if I should just screw the entire sub-floor just to nip any future squeaks. We plan on staying in this house for 25+ years so maybe it's not overkill?

My father-in-law feels that yes, that would be overkill. He thinks that any other squeaks would have developed by now after 29 years and that I should just concentrate on the existing squeaky portions.

My questions to you guys are:

1. Will this be overkill?

2. If I were to proceed, where would I install the new screws? Righ next to the existing nails or between existing nails? Should I space the screws every 12"?

3. Would there be any ill effects from installing deck screws along with existing nails? Will the screws create unwanted floor movement due to difference pressue points of existing nails and the new screws?

Pics of my existing sub-floor and nail below. Thanks guys, I appreciate any expertise comments you might have.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  24.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  31.2 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  36.8 KB

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-13, 03:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations to your dad for such a good build, in a time where Particle board was king (and he chose not to use it), and regular #8 cc sinkers would have sufficed (but he chose better), and glue was practically considered a waste of time.

You have developed squeaks, and I understand ego. Just because the other areas haven't developed them doesn't mean they won't in the next 25 years. Overkill?? Sure, but who wants to remove hardwood flooring to correct squeaks in 5 years? There's enough nails in the flooring to build a boxcar , but the screws will give positive placement and holding power to your subflooring.

Old 08-29-13, 04:01 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The squeaks are not from the nails coming loose, they are from mis-fires that are riding side saddle to the joists below. Removing them is the right thing to do. Unfortunately, sometimes when you take care of one, it cause movement at another. So, I'm with Larry on this, take the time to screw the whole thing down. You will know of a screw misses the mark as it will just free-spin when you set it. Look into renting a collated stand up screw gun. It will make the day long job of screwing down the floor into a 2 hour easy effortless process.

Old 08-29-13, 09:51 AM
B
Thumbs up

Thanks Larry and Czizzi! I've read your posts re: subloors and was hopping you two would reply. I can't believe I signed on to this board in 2007 and this is my first post. Frequent reader, first time poster

My father-in-law would appreciate hearing the positive comments from you Larry since this was one of his earlier builds. This house was built for my mother-in-law's parents (my wife's grandparents) and we've since taken it on after their passing. It's a solidly built house that we're updating for contemporary times.

I appreciate you both recommending the screw down; I was leaning towards it but wanted some additional comments from the pros.

---------------
- Can you guys recommend where I should be putting the new screws? The seams have closely set nails while the other non-seam parts of the boards have nails ~12" apart. Should I be screwing them 12" apart starting next to the current nails or in between nails?

- Thanks for the collated screw gun recommendation Czizzi. I didn't realize a tool existed until this post and then Googlled/YouTubed it. It seems like it would be time saver but I'm curious if it deck screws are even available in collated tape? If not, I have an impact screwdriver and...time

---------------

I'm just a DIYer and taking my time researching and methodically doing these renovations myself. I really appreciate expert advice from pros like yourselves.

Old 08-29-13, 10:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Overkill? Maybe but even if it is, what's wrong with that? I spent four days on my hands and knees sinking screws into the floor when my (former) in-laws built their lake home - ten years later there isn't a squeak anywhere.

Stand over the spot where you're installing the screws to press the materials together better and follow the nailing pattern with your screws.

Old 08-29-13, 10:51 AM
B
Thanks Mitch. Yeah I read about your in-laws' lake house experience. Your post was actually the one that made me think about adding the screws! I've got my impact driver and knee pads ready!

Old 08-29-13, 01:40 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Big Orange Box Store carries #2 square head collated screw. Located in the screw isle usually on the bottom shelf. Make sure they are exterior and at least 2" long. The work great in my Senco Expandable Collated Screw Gun Not the cheapest, by time is money.

Senco DuraSpin Collated Screw #8 x 2 in. Coarse Galvanized Square Decking-to-Wood Screw-08D200W at The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: