how to prep subfloor for ceramic tiles?

Old 09-06-13, 10:18 PM
how to prep subfloor for ceramic tiles?

So I have a extension to my house, currently a mud room, that needs to be renovated.
I want to put tiles down but I'm not sure if the plywood and underlayment I'm planning on using will be sufficient to prevent movement.
I don't want to put tiles down directly ontop of the cement because it would be too cold during the winter. I live in Alberta, Canada.
I don't want to use a floor warming system because the room will barely be used, just mainly for small storage.

I'm planning on putting 2'x4' sleepers down on a concrete leveled concrete slab.
Then putting 1/2" plywood ontop of that.
Then 1/4" 'fiberock' underlayment. homedepot product info
Then grout and tile ontop of the underlayment.
The room is only 112 sq ft if that makes any difference.

Does anyone know if that type of subfloor would be sufficient in preventing movement?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-13, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have the height, you can install a sleeper system, then add 2" foam insulation between the joiste, and add 3/4" Advantech subflooring. Then a layer of thinset and your 1/4" concrete backer underlayment, screwed as per the manufacturer's suggestion. Hardie backer already has the screw sequence embossed on the face, so it's a no brainer. Then thinset and your tile, then grout.