Support beam of 2nd floor

Old 09-07-13, 06:18 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Support beam of 2nd floor

Hi, I am in the process of rebuilding my house. Contractor is doing the frame now. However, he did not do the work based on house design plan. He should have used a continuous support beam for 2nd floor. He cut the support beam into two pieces before he put them on. I just found this and he pretty much finishes the 2nd floor frame. What options do I have now to fix this problem? Thanks a lot for all your opinions in advance!

Old 09-07-13, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What does the contract/plans call for? Is there any support under where the "beam" is cut? Can you post pictures of what you have so we can see what you see?? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-08-13, 12:01 AM
C
Re: Support beam of 2nd floor

Thanks, Larry! The plan calls for a continuous beam. But the builder put two pieces of beams on instead of one. The connection of two beams are on the top of the wall separating dining room and kitchen. There are walls under the beam. The walls are the outside walls of kitchen and dining room. I do not have the picture yet. I hope my description makes sense.

Old 09-08-13, 03:51 AM
J
We can not see the drawings, no one here even knows where the drawings came from.
There is no pictures posted so we can we can even see what your talking about.
Without all the info hard to know if this even needs fixing.
Is this a permitted job? If so what's the building inspector say?

Old 09-08-13, 03:52 AM
One last question...what is the total length of the beam? If it is over, say, 24', he had to deal with finding one continuous (but should have questioned the plans), plus transporting such an item, and putting it in place may have been a booger. Just trying to see both sides. Pix will help.

Old 09-09-13, 12:52 AM
C

Thanks all! I will try to post a picture later. The drawing is approved by city and work is permitted by the city. City has not come out to do the inspection yet as the frame is not completely done yet...

Old 09-09-13, 01:13 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why not give the City a call, and request a "partial framing" inspection? Telling them your contractor didn't build what they approved that he build. Correcting the mistake earlier rather than later is always better, for everyone involved.

Old 09-09-13, 10:07 PM
C
Re: support beam of 2nd floor

Thanks! I just want to see the opinions from experts before I go to city. I have attached a picture. The top very thick is break in between. According to the draws, it needs to be a continuous beam. Underneath of this thick beam are the walls of 1st floor. I appreciate any suggestions of fixing the problem.

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-13, 03:58 AM
The Parallam beam is extremely strong, and I don't see a problem with the joint, except HOW it is joined. It is usually best to have a steel plate along side the beams bolted through both members to prevent separation. I would have tripled the stud under the Parallam, and would make sure the vertical support carries not only to the first floor but to the foundation with a proper footing. Parallam can be obtained in lengths up to 63' long, but transporting such a length would be an impossibility and impractical. 63'? That's how long a railroad box car is, and Parallam is a continuous product with no defined end.

Old 09-10-13, 11:58 AM
G
I have never seen a steel plate with bolts required on an interior application sitting on a wood bearing wall as pictured. A horizontal steel strap with 1-1/2" nails is usually called for, especially with plywood decking on top and running "with" the joists; HRS/ST/PS/HST/HTP/LSTA/LSTI/MST/MSTA/MSTC/MSTI Strap Ties Exterior- on a column, yes. I agree, add a stud for bearing. Check your drawings for a bearing footing under that wall, and it doesn't matter if the beam was cut or not (uncut beam would bear there also). Check your seismic hold-down page of drawings. Ask your contractor. There won't be much shear there with the one-piece joists and plywood decking tying them together... maybe an A-35 at the top plates/beams, depends on the Inspector.

Gary

Old 09-11-13, 12:36 AM
C

Thanks a lot, Larry and Gary! I really appreciate your advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: