Uneven sub flooring in mobile home

Old 09-16-13, 09:26 PM
Uneven sub flooring in mobile home

We recently purchased a business that has an existing mobile home on the property. Someone has replaced the sub floor with various thicknesses of plywood, chipboard, and misc pieces of wood. Liquid Nails has been used to fill all the gaps. Is it necessary to rip out the flooring or can I lay 1/2" plywood over it to level it out?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-13, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Generally mobile homes are/were floored using particle board, an inferior product at best. With it comes moisture and it's odd sizing, which will account for the difference in levels that you have experienced. If you plan on keeping the home, I would remove the particle board and replace it with 3/4" Advantech. Just adding to what you already have may not make it level, and will present its own problems with the elevations at the doorways, and you don't want to modify a mobile home door, believe me.

Old 09-17-13, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remember we aren't onsite to inspect the MH. I generally leave any sound PB, rip out and patch the bad PB with 5/8" plywood or OSB [90% of MHs have 5/8" PB subfloor] and then install 3/8" or 1/2" plywood over the entire floor. The only place you might run into issues with the doors is if the MH has exterior doors that swing in. The trouble spots for PB in MHs are along every exterior wall and bath/kitchen [where the plumbing is]

Old 09-17-13, 07:50 PM
If the home is a bit older, the floor is 3/4 or 5/8. Any thing today used to repair or patch the floor would be 1/32 less due to current sizing. You could use floor leveling compound and or a belt sander to level out the edges. If you want to overlay the floor, there could be issues with doors, sliding closet doors, bi-fold doors, dishwasher, some sort of base molding, case molding and batton strips and you need to pull the toilets and raise the flange or add a extra thick wax ring.
Before you start ripping out flooring, make sure the floor jousts are not running the length of the home as you will have nothing to attach the new flooring to along the outer walls.