Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Double 2x12 Header

NH

09-25-13, 06:34 AM   #1  
Double 2x12 Header

I recently requested a few professionals to look at my kitchen remodel and make suggestions for removing a bearing wall. One person came back with a significantly lower quote than the other, as well as a different header design. I want some second opinions that this header design is okay, before I contract this person.

house: 1967 single story ranch, 28' wide, 2x6 ceiling joists.

project: removing 16' span of a bearing wall between kitchen/lroom (wall sits directly on basement beam; only supports attic; no second story)

this person's proposal: double 2x12 header (with double 2x4 jack studs at each end)

other person's proposal: LVL beam (with double jack studs...)

question: will a double 2x12 header support that span? i tried consulting span tables, and it looked like i would need a triple 2x12 for about 11ft only. double 2x12 for 16'? is my ceiling going to collapse??

thanks in advance.

sincerely,
- frugal, but prefers ceiling to stay in place

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-25-13, 06:45 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! As we always advocate, the services of a structural engineer would be priceless. With that said, I have done this many times. To keep the beam from showing, you can build support walls on either side of the proposed removal, remove the wall, cut through the joists to reveal a 3 1/2" gap, install a double " LVL flush with the bottom of the joists, securing the joists to the LVL using LUS26 joist hangers. NOW, the support for the hanging end. How far from this 16' end is the next supporting wall? Would it be better to extend the LVL to go over that wall and eliminate the column post? What do you plan on doing with the column post? 3" x 3 1/2" is sort of small to decorate, so you may want to consider a 6x6 and wrapping it with sheetrock.

Pictures and measurements of your project would certainly help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Last edited by chandler; 09-25-13 at 07:06 AM.

NH

09-25-13, 07:02 AM   #3  
thanks for your quick response. i think i've attached a photo correctly. red = the area of the wall we are removing. yellow = the header area.

i'm not really sure about what they're doing with the posts on either end!

my only goal is to open up these two rooms and put an island in there. i wouldn't even mind having a column at the end of the island, if it helped support the span. (approx 6.5' of island, then column, then ~8' open span)

i know that the guy who suggested double 2x12 header was planning a flush design w/ hangers.

i'm just nervous that double 2x12 is NOT structurally sound for a 16' span. we're in NH, so we have snow load to consider too.

Name:  lroom project.jpg
Views: 15812
Size:  51.5 KB

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-25-13, 07:56 AM   #4  
It appears from pix 2 that you have support already built in at the doorway on the right and the remnants of the wall on the left. That should allow for sufficient support without the need for a column post. The LVL is a stronger product than dimension lumber. That is why I suggested it. Flushing the beam up into the ceiling is the way to go. Here, again, even though we have seen the pictures, and it seems you can do this, please consult an engineer to get blessings, as I understand your concerns, and we can't see it all.

Others will chime in here shortly, so wait for other comments.

Search this Thread