Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

subfloor help

NY

09-30-13, 11:50 AM   #1  
subfloor help

Hello,

I am sure this question has been asked before but I need some help with flooring. I just bought a house and gutted the kitchen down to the studs and subfloor. I want to lay some tile down in the kitchen and just want to make sure I do the subfloor correctly.

Here is what I have:

3/4 x 3 3/4 planks over joist (16" oc)
Wood floors in the dining room. When I took out the old floors in the kitchen I now have 3/4" from the planks to the top of the existing wood floors.

My question is how much plywood and backer board can I put down. Can I get away with 1/4" plywood then 1/4" backer with tile on top to make it flush?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

09-30-13, 12:03 PM   #2  
1/4 Plywood is way to thin to be used under tile.
Really need to consider the width and clear unsupported spans of the joist not just the spacing.
Undersized or over spanned joist will not support tile.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

09-30-13, 03:36 PM   #3  
The height of the tile floor has no relation to the height of the hardwood except in your mind and a perfect world where you would like them both to be the same height.

As Joe eluded to, need to know how large the joists are in additon to the spacing. Also need to know how long the open span is between supports for the floor joists. Zero movement is the key to a successful tile install.

Provided you satisfy those requirements, the subfloor mix is a follows:

Minimum 1/2" Plywood over 15# felt paper on top of screwed down 3/4" planks covered by a bed of thinset to support 1/4" Cement Backerboard that is screwed down per menufacturer specs. Then your tile goes on top of this properly prepared subfloor.

NY

09-30-13, 05:04 PM   #4  
Do you recommend ditra over cement board?

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

09-30-13, 05:52 PM   #5  
You can interchange ditra for CBU if you choose, but at a price. Will save you 1/8" as all other components are needed.

Any measurements to share with us????...or you just gonna wing it....

NY

09-30-13, 09:17 PM   #6  
I haven't had a chance to measure the floor joist but I wanted to probably go with the following:

1/2 plywood & ditra over the 3/4 planks. Will that be sufficient? How much more would a warming mat bring up the floor? Would you place the ditra over the warming mat or vice versa?

Search this Thread