Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Load bearing wall?

TX

10-03-13, 08:02 PM   #1  
Load bearing wall?

I am looking into removing a wall that separates kitchen/living room if its not a bearing wall. the house is a 1977 ranch home. here are the details.

Room:
Living room 16x16
kitchen/dining 16/14

Wall:
parallel with joists except 3 feet portions that make up pantry
no multiple posts found (havnt taken off the drywall)

Wall is under a joist that runs across to other load bearing walls
has double top plate
1 joist that goes across to both load bearing walls and 3 joists along the section with no wall.

Living room:
Vaulted ceiling with 4x12 beam
Vaulted ceiling built along portion of roof with A style frame

Beam:
Appears to be decorative?
supported by 4 2x4's sandwiched to U the beam
2x4 support sits on top of joist above wall.... no direct support down to concrete
gap between the U 2x4 support a beam
the only thing holding the beam up is the 2 side 2x4 of the U...
Nothing else attached to beam

Kitchen:
has joists parallel that run across to load bearing walls.
the wall I want to remove does the same

So, I have the impression that this is a non-weight bearing wall, however the beam that runs across makes me think otherwise. However, there doesn't seem to be much support for the beam currently anyways. What do you think?

The picture is from the living room showing the beam and the wall i want to remove. I'll try to get pics from the attic.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-04-13, 02:29 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! The beam is bearing on that wall. True, the wall may can be gutted, but the vertical support to that beam must remain intact. As with all modifications like you have, we always recommend the services of a local structural engineer to determine what can and can't be done. He will be on site, whereas we are just looking at a picture and description. Would leaving the post support be an option? You may be relegated to building a pass through and leave the bulk of the wall, just not sure.

Search this Thread