Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

HELP: Framing in Pocket Door.

CO

10-15-13, 09:25 AM   #1  
HELP: Framing in Pocket Door.

Hey everyone! I am not a total noob, but am slightly timid taking on a project i with a tad important complications.

The Pocket Door! I have a Loft and wanted to close it off a tad, by putting in a pocket door a little back from the top stairs. I picked up the only pocket door they had a home depot, IMP 36" Pocket Door with a 36" Slab.

Looking at it. I was thinking I would put a jack stud on the left support stud, and then build in a header to meet the support beam. Also the Support beam is 5" opposed to a standard wall at about 3.5"... So assuming to get a flush dry wall area i need to fill on one side....

Im attaching pics a couple pics. So maybe someone can help me with how to frame all this in and maybe draw it out with measurements. thanks so much everyone!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

10-15-13, 03:50 PM   #2  
Well, number one, you don't really need a header, since you have that giant beam up there. So IMO you ought to just screw/nail some 2x4's flat to the bottom of that beam. Center the 2x4s under the 5" beam so you have 3/4" on each side. Install one 2x4 against the wall on the right side of the stairs, glue it to the drywall. If there is nothing to nail to there, you might also need to use some anchors. Having a 2x4 on that side will allow you to install a finished jamb on that side, and some trim.

you didn't say how much room is over the top of the pocket door. I assume you have the head piece for that pocket door kit, and the 72"+ roller track?

If you plan on installing drywall over everything, use a tear away vinyl L-bead along the bottom of the 5" wide beam. It will allow you to flat tape up against the bottom of the beam without making a mess all over it. Once the final sanding is done, there is a fin that "tears away" leaving the beam edge clean. You can caulk it if desired, but the gap is usually fairly clean looking.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-15-13, 04:33 PM   #3  
I agree with Brant. You don't need a header, and you won't need to install a jack on the left side. You will barely have enough room for the 2x4 on the right side, but you will need it for trim. One other thing, use 1" screws to hold your sheetrock to the frame. You don't want a standard 1 5/8" screw making scratches on your door the first time you move it into position
How does the header and track piece fit in this scenario? That will tell about the fit as well. Oops, already asked..........

CO

10-28-13, 02:01 PM   #4  
thanks guys! So here is the final minus the painting.

Attached Images

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-28-13, 02:43 PM   #5  
Excellent job. Makes the area more private, yet the balcony gives the feel of openness. I like it.

Search this Thread