Wondering about a beam

Old 10-24-13, 08:22 AM
Wondering about a beam

I am buying a new house. It is a raised ranch built int he 70's. I am really into open concept, mostly because I love heating with wood/pellet and better when its open. So the main floor has a wall separating the dining/living rooms, and the kitchen. The wall between the kitchen and dining, non load bearing, not a problem. The wall spanning between the kitchen and living is load bearing. I mean the wall pokes into the dining room with an archway. So the plan is to completely open the space up. I would say the span is about 23-25 feet. The space above is an attic, the space below is a finished basement. The attic is really open. I know throwing a beam in would solve the issue, but don't much about what kinds of beams, or anything. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-13, 09:08 AM
Well here is what i have.

this is what we want to go towards

Old 10-24-13, 09:09 AM
jrawk1120,

I would imagine that in MA a structural change like that is going to require a building permit. I don't think the standard building codes have any beam entries of that size so in order to get the permit you are pretty much going to have to see an engineer.

Old 10-24-13, 09:15 AM
Well, I'll be moving across the border to CT. An i was thinking of keeping the indents in from the kitchen and dining on the ends for support. Does that do anything?

Old 10-24-13, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
You mentioned a 23-25' beam but in your lower drawing of what you want you only show removing the non-structural wall between the kitchen and dining area. I don't see the change you mentioned that would require the beam?

Old 10-24-13, 09:23 AM
Well I didn't draw the reno, it was a template i found online, but this is it

Old 10-24-13, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect you'll need an engineer's recommendation for what size beam to use .... and the permit office will likely require an engineer's approval of the plans before they'll allow the work. Codes may change a little across state lines but the physics stay the same and you don't want to undersize the beam and then have the ceiling/roof sag because of it. The beam needs support on both ends either incorporated into the wall it's part of or the ones it butts into.

Old 10-24-13, 10:02 AM
Well I plan on doing all of that, but just curious what a general idea would be. I want to do this because if I don't my wife is going to paint the dining/kitchen Salmon!!!

Old 10-24-13, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm sure the engineer will spec some type of LVL beam to carry the load. He'll know how much weight needs to be supported and what it takes to accomplish that. Some of our members might be able to make a good guess as to the size of the beam ..... but I'm not that knowledgeable.

Old 10-24-13, 10:38 AM
Here is a link to some LVL beam design charts that may give you an idea of what would be needed, but the only 24 foot entries are for ridge beams and a 24 foot ridge beam requires a 5-1/4x18" beam.
http://www.bmdusa.com/uploads/pdfs/f...UsersGuide.pdf

Old 10-24-13, 10:43 AM
thanks for that resource! 18" maybe I'll throw a support in the middle. I want to put an island in, and could probably incorporate something in there.