Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Raising subfloor question.

11-12-13, 06:20 PM   #1  
Raising subfloor question.

If you are assuming everything before the point of my question has been done properly... Long story short, if using OSB Sheathing:

7/16 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. OSB Sheathing-386081 at The Home Depot

there is a smooth side and a rough side. Which side faces up?

Sponsored Links

WA

11-12-13, 08:57 PM   #2  
The rough side is for walking on, usually ink-print layout on 24" centers for trusses. The smooth side is waxed from manufacturing to keep them from sticking while pressing. Very slippery on a roof....so I've heard. Don't forget the ply clips if required per local code.PSCL/PSCA Panel Sheathing Clips Only for roof/wall, not subfloor....unless perimeter blocked, per code.

Gary

11-12-13, 10:50 PM   #3  
Thanks Gary. I needed to know that because I didn't think the glue side would be good for anything. It isn't being used as the subfloor, but being put on top of the concrete subfloor to help raise it. I've waterproofed the concrete (because it has some moisture problems) then laid cement boards. It still needs just over a half an inch to go, so that's where those boards come in. On top of that would go hardwood flooring.

I'm also putting joint glue for the OSB.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

11-13-13, 02:45 AM   #4  
Tile board should not have been used in direct contact with the slab.
There is no way to water proof a slab from the top side.

Group Moderator

WI

11-13-13, 10:45 AM   #5  
If you're laying wood for the floor, why do you have a layer of cement board?

I'm apparently missing something, your plan doesn't make sense to me.

WA

11-14-13, 11:34 AM   #6  
Hardwood flooring requires a moisture retarder between it and a crawlspace. On a concrete slab, it requires a full-fledged moisture barrier= poly sheeting. IMO, add some rigid foam board on some 6mill. poly directly on the slab. Then add your shim stock/plywood fastened down. OSB (7/16") is not nearly as good compared to plywood; with 3/4" the best thickness for holding fasteners in your application. Though 1/2 ply may be acceptable.http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...bef2a9fb9809f2

How muck thickness from the slab are you needing to finished elevation?

Gary

Search this Thread