Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

3/4 oak floor& sub floor

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

12-08-13, 09:11 AM   #1  
3/4 oak floor& sub floor

Am getting ready to put new flooring in kitchen and living room. Right now have 1/2 plywood sub floor with felt paper on top, Will need to add either 1/2 plywood or 3/4 plywood depending on clearance. Still looking at that. Should I remove felt before putting next later of plywood? Should I put more felt on top of plywood even if old felt left there? How many screws per 4 x 8 sheet needed? Am leaning on nail down 3/4 oak Do you nail to joists or between? Do I need ant air gaps between plywood?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-08-13, 09:25 AM   #2  
Hey. Your underlayment will be backwards, but definitely go with 3/4" Advantech subflooring. Remove the felt and reapply new felt on top of new sub.

Screw your 3/4" down to existing subflooring, intentionally missing the joists. No need to find joisting with hardwood fasteners. If you have the option, use a cleat nailer rather than a stapler. Nail at least every 8" along hardwood tongue. Get some reversing splined in case you need to change directions. You can post a pix of your layout, too. Field screw the subflooring in a grid about 6 to 8" .

Of course you are ready for us to tell you NOT to put it in the kitchen, right? I just don't like wood in a potentially wet area. Your call, though.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

12-09-13, 02:30 PM   #3  
Wife doesn't want tile to cold. Any special reason felt should not be left between layers? Not doubting just wondering why. Like to know reasons for future. Only reason might have to go with 1/2 inch is clearance reasons would prefer 3/4. Would 1 inch deck screws be ok should I go longer.

VA

12-09-13, 02:53 PM   #4  
Any hard floor is going to be cold to walk on unless you use under floor heat.

GA

12-09-13, 06:03 PM   #5  
The felt between layers could cause a moisture problem by not letting the layers of ply to breathe. Decking screws are perfect. You want them to be the thickness of the plies. 1 1/4" would work fine.

Search this Thread