Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Barn (shed) floor - cold air. Need a Vapor Barrier And Second Layer of flooring?

WV

12-09-13, 10:16 AM   #1  
Barn (shed) floor - cold air. Need a Vapor Barrier And Second Layer of flooring?

My wife and I have purchased a 12X30 Raised Barn shed and placed on our property in WV. Currently, we utilize the shed as a rest and sleep area as we work to prepare our building site for our future new home.
The barn(shed) is off the ground, and the current floor is rough plywood and we get a lot of cold drafts from the floor. We have recently completed putting up insulation on the walls...and plan to put up paneling. (Do we need a vapor Barrier on the walls?). I am considering putting in a second floor - plywood to reduce floor's coldness. Should I consider a vapor barrier in-between the two layers of plywood? We are also considering putting in a laminated floor on top of the second layer of plywood.

We do heat the 'barn' while we are there. We are on-site on most weekends and spend the night...if relatively warm. I plan to spend a lot of time there this winter (WV winter - rain, snow, and cold temps) as we continue to survey and clear our home site. Barn will also be a work area once the house is complete.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-09-13, 01:22 PM   #2  
Guess it's to low to insulate from under it?
Is this T & G plywood?
As it been air sealed any place air can get in?
Once you go over what you have with underlayment that should seal the cracks.
On thing I've done and It worked out well is lay 1/2" blue foam then a layer of 3/4" Advantech and nailing it down.
It warmed up the floor and was solid as a rock.

WV

12-09-13, 04:51 PM   #3  
Thanks.
Original plywood is not T&G. A lot of open cracks. We have started sealing the cracks. The shed (barn) is too low for me to place insulation underneath the floor (from ground).
The 1/2" blue foam...is it sturdy to foot traffic and storage of ATV? Where can this product and Advantech be purchased?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-09-13, 06:26 PM   #4  
Any Lowes or Home Depot, lumber yard will have it.
That's your main problem, not being T & G. That makes for a weak floor.
It's plenty solid enough.

Search this Thread