Flooring for attic

Old 12-09-13, 08:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flooring for attic

I am renovating my house and need regular access to the attic. Currently the attic has no lighting and no flooring besides the joists. Needing to be in there during installation has got me thinking I want to put down some flooring and lighting so I can comfortably do what I need during renovation. I am not interested in finishing the attic or even using it for storage. The problem is that the current attic entry is only 2 feet wide right now which means using plywood sheets is out of the question. I want to avoid widening the opening. I was thinking about using some 2x10x8s.

Is this possible and doesn't break code?
How should I go about doing this? I want to be able to screw them into the joists. Can I just use some 3" deck screws to screw them into the joists?
Like plywood, can I just set them across the joists making sure the ends meet dead center on another joist? The joists are 16" on center.
Will 2x10s be too heavy?

I won't be laying down planks everywhere just down the center and some areas I have yet to figure out (thinking about maybe doing an cross).

Old 12-10-13, 05:57 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not just rip some plywood?

Old 12-10-13, 06:16 AM
J
Trying to avoid all the work of cutting that much plywood. Wouldn't be too bad I suppose. But I was hoping to just get something ready off the shelf and to the floor using no other tool than my screwdriver. Would the 2x10s be a bad idea for this purpose?

Old 12-10-13, 07:42 AM
J
Just get it ripped at the store.
A 2 X 10 is going to be far heaver, and you would need to lay 2, side by side to have it wide enough to safely walk on .
Good luck trying to use a screw driver.
Going to need at least a drill or better yet an impact driver.

Old 12-10-13, 07:44 AM
A
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
You can use 2x's, but they are going to be a lot heavier than needed, and not as wide. Your local full service lumber yard will rip plywood, and, if I'm not mistaken, I think at least some of the big boxes will. You could rip it in thirds, and get 24' out of a single sheet, or even quarters, and have 32'. I would try to stay directly above bearing walls as much as possible, and pull the insulation back enough to make sure that you don't stick a nail or screw into ay wires that may be running through the joists.

Old 12-10-13, 07:48 AM
A
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
Sorry, Joe, didn't see that you were still here. You're faster on the keys than I am.

Old 12-10-13, 08:18 AM
J
If I can use 2xs I'd rather do that. For some reason, it just seems a lot less cumbersome and hassel-less. I was planning on only running maybe 2 or 3x 2x10s near supporting walls that I needed access too. Most of the reno will have to do with wiring work for those walls. The attic has low head clearance and I needed something to manuver and lay on while doing that work. As long as I'm not breaking any codes or possibly damaging the rafters by screwing these down -- that's what I was worried about.

I just got the 20v max dewalt drill/driver combo so I suppose it's a good time to test them out :-p

One last question... For this purpose... using 2xs nailing onto the top of the rafters (thin side), it is safe to use 3" deck screws? Should I predrill?

Old 12-10-13, 08:40 AM
J
No need to predrill.
2-1/2" will be more then enough.
One on each end will be enough. Your just trying to keep it from moving around.

Old 12-10-13, 10:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Plywood should be cheaper if you don't want to rip or have it ripped you could buy something like this - 24 in. x 48 in. Attic Decking-14876 at The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: