Bathroom floor temp fix

Old 12-16-13, 01:48 AM
Exclamation Bathroom floor temp fix

I live a 1968 mobile home and my bathroom floor is starting to go and go quick around the toilet. Now I would normally have no problem tearing it out and replacing it. It is winter now and dont want to tear it out and run into problems. I just want to know if I take a piece of plywood and put over the old floor for now.

I know its not the right way to do it but for now would it work?
Also if I could do this til spring how would I bring the ring up to meet the toilet?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-13, 03:39 AM
There are flange extenders. Check you local home improvement store.

Old 12-16-13, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Expanding on Norm's post - the new plywood has to go under the commode, just adding plywood around it won't support the commode any.

I'd be inclined to do it right the first time. Not sure what problems you'd expect to encounter. I'd buy the plywood and some 2x6s and get after it. You might not need the 2xs but you'd have them if any of the joists are bad or you need to add framing to secure the plywood to. You can always take them back if you don't use them. Most MHs have 5/8" thick sub floors.

Old 12-16-13, 07:47 AM
I know its not the right way to do it but funds are tight right now. I am just wondering if I do overlay it with the plywood if it will be ok till I get the funds or til spring which ever comes first. I do have a really good piece of plywood here but its only 4x4x3/4.

Old 12-16-13, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you can lay plywood over the deteriorating particle board. You'll need to pull the commode and use a wax seal with an extension like Norm said. The floor might not be real solid but there shouldn't be any danger of falling thru.

Old 12-16-13, 10:26 PM
thank you for all your help I know its not right but its what I have to do for now. Again THANK YOU!!!