Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drop Ceiling... HELP!

Non-US

01-01-14, 01:13 PM   #1  
Drop Ceiling... HELP!

Hi, we need to fix our drop ceiling asap and we need some recommendations. So... the bottom of a 24 case of beer fell out and smashed all over on the main floor, and it leaked into our basement through the drop ceiling. The section that it leaked over was done very strange (we were living upstairs when our landlord was refinishing the basement). It is around the stair well and the construction man who did it decided to glue the frame on the cut pieces of ceiling rather than secure the frame to the other frames in that area. When the beer spilled, it spilled partially over a floor grate and so the pieces of glass went up into the drop ceiling. I had to disassemble that area of the ceiling to clean it up properly; so the parts that were glued are now unglued.

We tried to glue the frame back on with hot glue from our hot glue gun, but it won't stay. What should we use? Some kind of silicone adhesive? I don't want to spend money on glues that won't work. I know it's not normally supposed to be glued, but we are trying to get things back to the way they were so our landlord doesn't get upset and decide to jack the rent way up when the lease renews (where I live, there is no rental increase laws). Please help!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-01-14, 01:20 PM   #2  
Welcome!! Most all our grid ceilings are metal. If you were t post some pix of your problem area (not closeups) we may be in a better position to offer rock solid advice.

Cheap beer I hope and not good Porter!

Non-US

01-01-14, 01:25 PM   #3  
It was homemade gluten free beer. Why do I need to post a picture? Doesn't anybody know what kind of glue would work to glue the frame to the ceiling without falling?

Non-US

01-01-14, 01:29 PM   #4  
The ceiling is made out of that white crumbly stuff. You know, this stuff: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ceiling-0a.jpg

GA

01-01-14, 02:33 PM   #5  
Why? So we can see there are no plastic parts. Metal grid and fibrous panels. If you have broken panels, just replace them as they are quite common. As for plastic, anyone's guess. Not included in pix

Temporarily Suspended

NY

01-01-14, 03:48 PM   #6  
Liquid nails is one of a number of constriction adhesives sold at Home Depot.

Non-US

01-01-14, 04:27 PM   #7  
Thank-you, Pulpo.

chandler, it is a metal (not plastic) grid, and the fibrous panels are not broken. Broken panels is not my problem. I could have brand new panels, and brand new panels do not stick to the metal grid magically. The metal grid in that section is not attached to the rest of the grid. It was just glued to the panels. I just didn't know what glue the carpenter used.

GA

01-01-14, 05:08 PM   #8  
Knowing is knowing. Yes. PL or most any thick adhesive will work just fine.

Search this Thread