Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attic room with odd configuration

01-05-14, 09:01 PM   #1  
Attic room with odd configuration

I have attic space on the same level as my other 2nd story bedrooms.
One section of the attic floor is raised because the room underneath it has a higher ceiling. That raised section is roughly 11x15 in the attic and I'd like to reinforce the joists and frame it in to function as a closet or small reading room.

The 2x6 joists are 16" OC connected by joist hangers to a large beam (5x13?) on one side, and sitting on a beam (4x8?) on the other side. However, the 4x8 beam ends halfway through and then the rest of the joists sit on stacked 2x4s the rest of the way. (They are sitting on the interior wall header).

My question is simple - is the foundation of these beams, etc strong enough that I can add my 2x10 joists and proceed to frame that area in? (I realize I have other issues to resolve such as HVAC in the way!)Name:  attic_with_details - Copy.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  50.0 KB

Sponsored Links

01-07-14, 09:38 PM   #2  
Have I stumped everyone too? At this point I'm thinking the supports will be fine if I sister 2x10s with the existing 2x6s. Going once...going twice??

Search this Thread