Attic space for home gym?

Old 01-06-14, 08:06 PM
Attic space for home gym?

Hey all,

New here. Purchasing a new home at the end of the month. Built in 1993. Has a walk up attic space that would be great for a home gym set up.
The joists are 2x8s currently. The room would be just under 20'x20'. This would be from the vertical side studs on both sides and from stairs to the end wall. I would keep the space behind the stairs as is with the hvac.
Here are some pics of the space:

And here are pics of the 2nd floor drawings below. I added a red square to outline roughly where the room would be in the attic:

Replace the OSB with 3/4" T&G plywood and then at least 1/2" rubber mat.
Looking to put a squat rack and dumbbell stand up there. Something like this:

Do I need to sister the joints? Would the floor hold ok? I would also add some sound deading insulation and maybe raise the collars a little - not sure on their height (forgot to measure) but I am 6'5" and it felt like they were fairly tall.
Any thoughts on my idea?

Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-14, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Nice space

I'm not a pro in this area but in my opinion you'd need to at least double up the joists under your weight area. You'd also need to be concerned about beam span. I can't tell from the drawings where the support beams are that those joists are resting on.

Others will stop by and give you their feedback.

Old 01-08-14, 12:29 PM
Thanks! I am wondering if I need to get a structural engineer to figure out what I need to do.

Search this Thread