Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Subfloor direction a code requirement, or just best practice?

Old 01-12-14, 12:31 PM

Hi,

I just purchased a home that had a rotted floor in the kitchen. We've gotten a permit, but have not yet had an inspection. We cut out the rotten section of subfloor, which was 2 layers of 1/2 plywood.

I added proper blocking to all edges and glued and screwed a new piece of 3/4 plywood underlayment down (another 1/4 sheet will go on top).

I JUST realized that it's oriented the wrong direction, parallel to the 2x12, 16" OC joists and not perpendicular to them.

We will be putting down laminate flooring, so weight of stone or tile isn't an issue.

My question is, does anyone know of a code REQUIREMENT in the 2003 IRC that subfloor MUST be perpendicular to joists?

I've looked and looked, but I'm afraid my inspector is going to ding me, and I'm REALLY afraid of having to undo all that adhesive.

Name:  IMG_20140111_141204.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  39.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
He will definitely ding you for it, provided he is observant.

the footnote (a) to Table R503.2.1.1(2) Allowable spans for sanded plywood combination underlayment, says:

(a) Plywood continuous over two or more spans and face grain perpendicular to supports. Unsupported edges must be tongue and groove or blocked except where nominal 1/4" thick underlayment or 3/4" wood finish floor is used. Allowable uniform live load at maximum span based on deflection of 1/360 of span is 100 psf.

APA recommendations concur. Additionally APA recommends when using 1/4" thick APA underlayment over subfloor - all underlayment joints offset at least 2" from subfloor joints.

Old 01-12-14, 03:00 PM
Thanks, I see it now. Of course it's tucked away in a footnote...

So, anyone have any advice for pulling up a subfloor that was glued down? lol

This is my first foray into renovation...I'm off to a great start!

Old 01-12-14, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
It's going to destroy the subfloor, so since that's the case I would pull the nails with a catspaw, cut the subfloor up with a skilsaw that is set 3/4" deep, cutting it into small easy to remove pieces and toss the pieces in the dumpster.

Be glad you didn't do the whole floor that way.

Old 01-12-14, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Since this is a repair to an existing floor, the best way to repair it probably would have been to go back with 2 layers of 1/2" plywood again, rather than use 3/4" and 1/4". You would cut back the top layer farther than the bottom layer so that your sheets could be staggered. (underlayment joints offset- that means none of the joints in the top layer should line up with any of the joints in the first layer) This will result in a stronger floor that won't have as much deflection along the edges of the repair.