Best way to frame steel I-beams

Old 01-12-14, 04:05 PM
Best way to frame steel I-beams

A buddy of mine is finishing his basement and there are two I-beams that need to be framed around. He'd like to keep them as skinny as possible, so we were thinking of sandwiching a couple 2x4s to either side with construction adhesive to give us something to screw the drywall into, and just glue the drywall to the bottom. Is this an acceptable way to do it? Should there be a piece of wood across the bottom of the beam as well or is it okay to glue the drywall directly to the steel?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Depends on the size of the beam, but I will usually stand 2x4's up vertically on 16" centers, glue the ends and tap them in... friction fitting them between the top and bottom flanges, flushing them up with the edges of the beam. You can glue drywall directly to the steel on bottom. Keep in mind that if you do that, you will probably want to use the metal corner bead that has the paper tape on it. You won't be able to nail or screw the cornerbead to the steel if there isn't any wood there.

Old 01-12-14, 05:57 PM
Keep in mind that if you do that, you will probably want to use the metal corner bead that has the paper tape on it. You won't be able to nail or screw the cornerbead to the steel if there isn't any wood there.
Roger that. That's exactly why I was wondering if a piece of wood would be necessary in order to nail the cornerbead to, but we'll just use the tape type. Thanks.