one deeply notched joist!

Old 01-14-14, 06:24 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
one deeply notched joist!

Hello, I need help or at least peace of mind. I have 2x10 joists on 16" centers with a 16' span in a 1920's house. The one in question is sistered, but only with a 11' 2x10. My Plumber notched the full span joist at 6' from the wall a little more than its depth. The sistered joist only goes 3' past the notch. Should I worry?

Thanks!

Old 01-14-14, 06:30 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got a picture so we can fully see how it was done?
Any reason you can not sister another one the other side that's full length?

Old 01-14-14, 07:19 AM
C
I can take a pic, today. It will be a pain to sister up a joist. I did two others that were butchered by previous plumbers, but then I installed two layers of furring strips on 16" centers. I can do it, but it will take a day to cut slots, then have to fix then after.

I should mention, I have an 8' 2x6 on the other side of the sistered joist, but I don't imagine that would do much. Also, the notch is in the top, but I assume you guessed that.

Old 01-14-14, 07:24 AM
C
backstory

the reason for the notch is that the drain falls right on the joist, and the drain that I bought with the tub goes straight down instead of a 90 bend. I specifically told the plumber as little notching as possible, and would gladly have paid for another drain, but I left the house for 40 minutes and came back to this. WTF, we talked at length about ridiculous plumber notches. I like to think, because of the 2x6 (which is for leveling the floor upstairs) he thought he was notching one of the joists with a full span sister.

Old 01-14-14, 07:24 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another way is to use headers to support that area.
Picture how an opening is made in a roof to support a sky light.

Old 01-14-14, 03:43 PM
C
I just went and sister-ed up a new 2x10. It wasn't worth having in the back of my head. Thank you for your thoughts!
-Burke

Old 01-14-14, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I never met a plumber who wasn't also a wood butcher. Must be something they all learn in plumbing school.

Old 01-14-14, 07:32 PM
C
Maybe they have a more realistic grasp of what is actually necessary, but. I was furious. Now that my new joist is in, I'm okay with it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: