Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

basement sub-floor for carpet?

Non-US

01-18-14, 03:49 PM   #1  
basement sub-floor for carpet?

I have had two quotes now from contractors saying you can lay carpet right on top on the concrete floor in the basement. I always thought there should be a subfloor to prevent moisture coming up and keeping the basement warmer. I have found a product called DRIcore and it looks great and easy to install but was wondering if there are effective cheaper options out there.

Can you really lay carpet right on concrete? Is there a cheaper option to DRIcore?

Sponsored Links

CO

01-18-14, 04:17 PM   #2  
You can put carpet over concrete, but first i would have a moisture test done on the slab to see the moisture content

MI

01-25-14, 01:35 PM   #3  
I have been planning to carpet some of my basement also and looked into the DRIcore. It seemed very expensive (approximately $1.50/sq ft) to me, so I began to look at other options. The one that I will probably pursue is a product called Platon, sold in my area at Menards. Platon is made from tough, durable, high density polyethylene (HDPE). It is a 24 mil dimpled waterproofing membrane with a 30 year warranty that has been used for residential exterior basement walls. The roll that I looked at was 7'3"x65'6" and cost under $150, so less than .32/sq ft. The dimples can withstand a bunch of pressure (how much I don't remember), especially when the load is spread out over the surface. The dimples keep the membrane elevated above the concrete surface, allowing it to breath. I plan on cutting and piecing together strips and then sealing/taping the seams. Then place your 4x8 sheets (you can use 1/2" subfloor vice 3/4" because deflection won't be an issue with the dimples providing consistent support) of subfloor on top of that and anchor in place with Tapcon screws. Now you're ready for padding and carpet. I think you'll find that this option will save you about 1/3 the cost of the DRIcore and you won't have as many seems to seal, if that is a concern. Another problem that I had with the DRIcore is that it isn't that well thought out in terms of functionality. It is supposed to be a membrane/subfloor system all in one, but falls short of the mark as far as I am concerned. The reason you want to use a membrane is to limit exposure to moisture, right? If you look carefully at the back side of the panels, the membrane doesn't completely cover all of the exposed OSB subfloor when pieced together. If there is any kind of significant moisture in the concrete, this is a problem, IMO. I talked to a contractor at The Home Depot who told me to just lay out some visqueen and then put the carpet on that. Not sure if that is a viable option, but it would definitely be the cheapest solution other than putting the carpet right on top of the concrete (another contractor told me to do it that way because, in his words, "the carpet will probably get moldy over time, but you should replace the carpet every few years anyway." IMO, a subfloor type of system will make the living space more comfortable since it doesn't sit directly on top of the concrete. Hope this helps. Rob

IL

02-06-14, 06:30 PM   #4  
Platon best subfloor for the price?

Rob, so what did you end up going with? I was also looking at Platon. Best bang for the buck!

Search this Thread