New flooring over old?

Old 02-10-14, 03:53 PM
New flooring over old?

Okay where to start.

Well my daughter's floor has a hole in it and I have been considering for a while to just put down a whole new floor in her room. Would it be bad to hammer (or screw) in a new plywood floor over the old one after tearing up the vinyl tiles? There is a few 'soft spots' here and there and the one hole.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-14, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Kitty!

I've done this a lot on MHs. It's not a good idea to just cover up weak/soft subfloor, those areas should be cut out and patched. Small holes are ok to cover over but if they are of any size it's best to fill them although a lot depends on the thickness of the plywood you use to overlay the old.

Old 02-11-14, 05:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got a picture?
What's the subflooring in there now?
What caused the hole?
Does this happen to be a mobile home with particle board floors?

Old 02-11-14, 01:20 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome marksr!

The hole is about the size of a small orange and you have to go out your way to find it. I planned on using a 3/4 treated plywood to do the whole room.

To answer joecaption1: there are no pictures, sorry. It is a house, not a mobile. Not all that sure what made the hole. Just happened to notice it while sweeping the floor. It was actually under a carpet so who knows how long it has been there hiding.

Old 02-11-14, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not a good idea to use PT plywood inside - too many chemicals that can leach out. Not needed anyway. 3/4" plywood would be fine going over that size hole. Do you know what type of sub floor you have?

Old 02-11-14, 04:04 PM
No clue to be honest. The house is pretty old and one end of the house was added on. We have to get that side leveled because it has been sinking down over the past few years. Her room isn't a part of that area though.