Drilling through main beam.

Old 02-22-14, 06:15 AM
Drilling through main beam.

I would like to relocate the discharge of my sump pump. This would require traversing my basement to do so. Unfortunately the ceiling is on the low side and there are already a ton of pipes hanging down. If I could get the pipe up between the joists and over to the other side of the house, that would make it possible. However, my joists do not sit on the center beam of the house. They hang from it. Is it at all possible to drill through this beam for the pipe, or is just totally out of the question?

I don't have details on the size of the beam and the pipe is around 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" PVC. I can provide picture and dimensions later if that would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-14, 10:01 AM
It would help if we knew what the beam is made of, its dimensions, and exactly where in it you want to drill the hole (distance from bottom/top, and location of hole w.r.t. the beam's end).

Pictures would also help.

Old 02-22-14, 12:41 PM
The beam is 3 2"x10" nailed together. Supported by 6"x6" wood posts spaced approx. 7' apart. I haven't fully developed my plan as far as hole location, but figured as close to a post would be the best and center in the beam on its height.

IMG_0795 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_0796 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_0797 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 02-22-14, 07:38 PM
Actually, the bending moment diagram for continuous, multi-span beams like yours transitions from maximum negative (at an interior support) to maximum positive (at midway between columns) at approximately just under 1/4 of the total span distance between columns. Meaning you would do best to locate the hole about 1'-6" from a column, where the bending moment is zero, instead of right at a column. Right at mid-depth would be good, too.

Old 02-23-14, 04:49 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get the pipe where I want it to go without loosing more headroom.