Cross Brace an Open Web Floor Truss ?

Old 02-23-14, 05:31 AM
Cross Brace an Open Web Floor Truss ?

I'm in a bit of a jam, I had a leak in my bathroom which requires the subfloor to be replaced. I realized I cannot cut out the entire subfloor in my bathroom as the edge of the subfloor is under a wall which sits on the joist / strait portion of the truss.

I need something to screw the new subfloor to, and provide some structural support. Blocking and sistering don't seem viable, Is a cross brace the only option? If so, how do you properly create a cross brace?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-14, 05:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Posting a picture of your situation would allow us to see what you see. Bracing between the joists is viable, but, again we can't see it.

Old 02-23-14, 05:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 02-23-14, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll go take some pictures.

Old 02-25-14, 06:04 AM
Pics and some more explanation.

The images were too large for the image uploader, so I just uploaded them to imgur.

imgur: the simple image sharer
imgur: the simple image sharer

So I cut the bad portion of the sub floor out. The problem now is how to reinforce the distance between the two open web trusses. I'm now thinking the best method might be to use a 2X4 or possibly a 2X8 since the boards are flat, and some sort of bracket to create a block across the distance.

Any idea's on a better method?

Old 02-25-14, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
I would probably nail a 2x6 across the sides of the web trusses so it catches the vertical supports. Then fit a 2x6 between them as needed. use subfloor adhesive.

Old 02-25-14, 06:23 AM
So nail through the center of the 2x6? Or at angle, I have limited room with the HVAC running there. Also, any particular nail? Also subfloor adhesive on the 2x6 in between the 2x6? Or are you saying in general?

Old 02-25-14, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Whatever it takes. Use screws if you need to. The perpendicular pieces (blocking, not cross bracing) will obviously will be toe-nailed or screwed. Subfloor adhesive is for the subfloor to framing so that thete is no squeeks... to solidify the repair.