Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

rotted sill plate and joists - thoughts on best way to attach new joists?

Old 03-09-14, 09:13 AM

Hi and thanks in advance for your thoughts/input.

I'm working on section of flooring/framing/crawlspace appr 9x5 in front of
an entry door. The original sill and joists were thoroughly rotted (not pressure treated, 50 years old, and entry not flashed properly-- water).
The sills sat on a 4" wide wall (see photo) and the joists were notched and toe nailed to the sills. The joists were also nailed directly to the block wall w/masonry nails as there was no rim joist (or ledger) on the wall across from the entry as it is below grade. My question is: After I install pressure treated sills (anchored, etc), how do I attached the joists? Should I approach this like decking and attached a ledger above the sill with anchors into the hollow block and attach the joists to both the sill and ledger?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-14, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The joists were also nailed directly to the block wall w/masonry nails as there was no rim joist (or ledger)
That wasn't a terribly effective installation method.

Just a thought as I'm not the pro in this area. You'd need to at least install a ledger board to the block using treated wood and use beam hanger brackets to attach the joists to the ledger.