Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing around ductwork and pipes

PA

03-16-14, 08:15 AM   #1  
Framing around ductwork and pipes

What is the easiest and the sturdiest way to frame around basement pipes and ductwork?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-16-14, 08:31 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Build frames of 2x lumber. Do not try to get by with smaller to save space. It won't be sturdy enough. Not sure what your situation is, but build your verticals first from substantial existing framing members, then attach your bottom chord to them. You can lay the bottom chord flat to save space. Tie all the framing together with framing lumber,too. That will give you sound structure to place your final finish on.

03-16-14, 06:48 PM   #3  
I plan on using this method for my basement soffits. Comes recommended by lots of folks. Seems pretty fast.

Basement Finishing Tips: The Family Handyman

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-17-14, 04:51 AM   #4  
That would work if all the world were flat. Sometimes you will run into jogs in ducts, or errant pipes that may prevent you from doing a job like that. Good article, though.

OR

03-23-14, 01:33 AM   #5  
I'd be very leery of installing OSB directly to heating supply and return ducts, as shown in the linked article. Likely to result in noisy installations every time the furnace kicks in, with drywall joints flexing and requiring constant attention to repair the cracked, taped seams. Far better to leave an air gap (if space permits), by using 2 x 2 framing under the sheet rock.

Search this Thread