Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Screwing into cement

AZ

04-03-14, 07:24 AM   #1  
Screwing into cement

I'm not quite sure if this goes here - I need some help about screwing into cement.

We have a cement floor to which I wish to attach a floor strip prior to putting down tiles. My question is - how do I screw into cement? As you can guess, I'm pretty much a newbie.

Do I need a special drill bit? Do I use some sort of plug and then screw into the plug? If so, what sort?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

04-03-14, 08:23 AM   #2  
Normally a 4'x8' sheet product is put down first before tiling rather than just a strip.
To drill and use screws is tremendous amount of work. Often the fastener used is a powder actuated nail gun that shoots thru the wood into the cement.

There is a hardened screw that is called a TapCon. You drill a hole and the screw threads right into the cement. The following video is a demonstration...... Tapcon Concrete Screws

What kind of tile will you be installing as that will determine your underlayment requirements ?

Search this Thread