Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Leveling concrete slab under carpet

TX

04-03-14, 10:20 AM   #1  
Leveling concrete slab under carpet

A plumber recently had to jackhammer through a significant portion of the slab of my slab-on-grade house to replace deteriorated sewer pipes.

When he filled in the hole, he didn't do a very good job leveling the concrete, and my tenant is complaining about the 'dip' in the carpet.

Can I fix this simply by pulling back the carpet, pouring self leveling concrete, allowing it to set, and then re-stretching the carpet?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

04-03-14, 11:18 AM   #2  
Yes, you can try a self leveling compound or you can use a concrete resurfacer. I have had good luck with resurfacing in exterior applications so indoors should work even better.

Group Moderator

NE

04-03-14, 03:45 PM   #3  
It's probably a little more than "simply pouring self levelling cement"... especially if the floor isn't level. You will definitely want to trowel it on with wood float and finish it with a steel trowel.

I'd recommend a product called Ardex Feather Finish. It can be trowelled down to nothing. Home Depot has Henry Featherfinish which is similar. You could probably also mix up some portland grout and trowel it in the same manner.

Search this Thread