Leveling concrete slab under carpet

Old 04-03-14, 10:20 AM
Leveling concrete slab under carpet

A plumber recently had to jackhammer through a significant portion of the slab of my slab-on-grade house to replace deteriorated sewer pipes.

When he filled in the hole, he didn't do a very good job leveling the concrete, and my tenant is complaining about the 'dip' in the carpet.

Can I fix this simply by pulling back the carpet, pouring self leveling concrete, allowing it to set, and then re-stretching the carpet?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, you can try a self leveling compound or you can use a concrete resurfacer. I have had good luck with resurfacing in exterior applications so indoors should work even better.

Old 04-03-14, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
It's probably a little more than "simply pouring self levelling cement"... especially if the floor isn't level. You will definitely want to trowel it on with wood float and finish it with a steel trowel.

I'd recommend a product called Ardex Feather Finish. It can be trowelled down to nothing. Home Depot has Henry Featherfinish which is similar. You could probably also mix up some portland grout and trowel it in the same manner.