Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hole for Cable TV line...

MI

04-27-14, 06:18 PM   #1  
Hole for Cable TV line...

I'd like to run a Cable TV line through a wall. The problem is, it will require drilling a hole through the floor joist - vertically (at an angle).

Situation:

The wall is on one side of the stairway leading up the the second floor. There are two joists supporting this wall. Approx 2 feet away, there is a 1.5" diameter hole, drilled at an angle upwards, through the joists, for electrical. Floor joists are 2x8, span of ~12'. The hole I'd be drilling would be 1' away from the center of the house where a steel beam runs, supporting the joist. I'd keep the hole as small as possible, ideally uncrimped cable (to minimize the hole size drilled).

Question:

Can I safely drill (vertically, but at an angle) through the floor joist? I can take pictures if that'd help. The net effect would be a hole in the upper 1" of the top on the side of the joist, exiting through the TOP of the joist.

I'm just a bit nervous about putting more holes in the joists - we started a simple carpet project that turned into a joist replacement, basement ceiling light fixture rewiring, soon-to-be new duct outlets to fix shoddy workmanship kind of project... so I don't want to add to the mess

Thanks!

John

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

04-27-14, 06:27 PM   #2  
A small hole for just the coax shouldn't present any issues.

I'm trying to picture a hole entering the top side of the joist and exiting out the top. Does it exit into a wall cavity ? You need to make sure where you drill the hole can't be hit from nails from above.

MI

04-27-14, 06:50 PM   #3  
It should - yes. That's how the electrical gets into the wall (existing hole described above). I have some scraps of wood laying around which I can use as a mockup prior to drilling, to make sure the hole will land where I'm expecting it to.

As for nails from above - I don't think that is possible. I drilled a very small hole in the subfloor, and the joist starts exactly where the wall starts. It would be more likely if someone were to put new baseboard molding on - but then they might do the same with the electrical that is already present.

Group Moderator

NJ

04-27-14, 07:10 PM   #4  
I understand now 100% what you are doing. You should be fine with the hole there.
What you are doing there is very common on outside walls too.

You drilled a small hole in the floor to locate the wall. A tiny finishing nail works good also.

MI

04-27-14, 07:22 PM   #5  
Thanks! Yep - I used the hole to measure the joist location relative to the wall. Now I just need to make one more trip to the hardware store and crack out my stud finder & drywall saw... fun times

Search this Thread