Need to sound-proof floors and walls. Help!

Old 04-30-14, 12:23 PM
Need to sound-proof floors and walls. Help!

I recently bought a nice side-by-side duplex. I live in one side, my daughter and granddaughter are in the other side. It's a wood frame structure. I bought it mainly to help my daughter out, as she's a single mother.

Anyway, she often wears shoes that have hard heels and I can hear every step she takes on her hardwood or linoleum floors (kit & L/rm). It sounds like she is walking on my head, LOL! It's driving me nuts.

Before I start busting her chops to take off the shoes, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has some ideas to reduce the noise coming into my unit. We each have a full basement, so it would be rather easy for me to apply soundproofing techniques under the floors of both units. I was also considering having the abutting wall filled with foam. I realize it's probably going to be necessary to add a lot of mass to dampen the vibrations.

I would be VERY grateful for any and all suggestions. I absolutely must fix this problem.

Many thanks, Dave in RI

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-14, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless you can uncouple the two floor systems, which I doubt, you'll be relegated to be the troll and tell her to take her shoes off.

Old 04-30-14, 01:40 PM
Thanks chandler - interesting thought - difficult to do.

How about if I install adjustable lalli columns under her floors. These columns would rest on the basement floor and would press up against the bottom of her kitchen and living room floors. Would this transfer some of the noise down into the basement concrete floor?

Old 04-30-14, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is transferring sound is the continuous framing from one unit to the other. Sort of like a tuning fork going sideways. Keep checking in as some of the others may have different opinions as to how you can help mitigate the noise.