Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing framing in master bathroom, pictures inclued!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

TX

05-08-14, 11:47 AM   #1  
Replacing framing in master bathroom, pictures inclued!

Hello, I am redoing my master bathroom and I was going to remove the tub and do a walk-in shower. I noticed the tile from the purchase had black mold coming through the tile. The previous owners just put drywall over drywall and then tiled. So I tore all of that out and I need to replace some of the wall like the (floor plate?), that seems to be rotted and covered in mold. I do have jack posts to hold up a wall, or I do have the ability to build temporary framing. Also I was curious is it possible bring the ceiling up to match the adjoining room? Also is it possible to remove that wall completely? I am not sure it is possible but would open up ideas for the remodel.

Sponsored Links

TX

05-08-14, 11:50 AM   #2  
Woops, forgot the mold picture.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

05-08-14, 03:12 PM   #3  
It sounds like you want to do major renovations that would require an engineer's opinion. You can't get those answers here.

TX

05-08-14, 06:41 PM   #4  
Lol, I really don't think an engineer is required. Anyone who has experience expanding a large header, or removing headers from a load bearing wall should be able to answer the question, especially with pictures.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

05-09-14, 04:56 AM   #5  
I'm sure that's true but no one here is going to take a chance. Look at how many people read your post & didn't answer. When structure modification is involved, it's not considered DIY.

TX

05-09-14, 05:49 AM   #6  
There are lots of threads on this forum with hundreds of views and only a few replies. That doesn't mean anything, and yes changing structure is DIY. I don't really think you know what DIY is, because all it means is "DO IT YOURSELF". There is a very similar thread where someone is replacing the king and jack studs in their load bearing wall and expanding the opening by increasing their header size, with replies. Why do people reply to that thread if he is altering structure, yet nobody replies here? Exactly, it has nothing to do with structure and everything to do with how these forums are laid out.

Super Moderator

PA

05-09-14, 09:33 AM   #7  
Not everything is DIY and since the best reply here is to hire an engineer, I will consider this matter finished and close this thread.
You will get more help with honey than with vinegar.

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!
Bring your pets inside in this cold weather! Have some compassion and sense.

Search this Thread