Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Questions about Subfloor Materials

NC

06-04-14, 11:58 AM   #1  
Questions about Subfloor Materials

Greetings,

I own a SFH home used as a rental and old tenants just left. This home is 20 years old and in NC. I'm replacing most of the flooring in the home. I decided to use 12 mm laminate in the dining room and the adjoining entry hall. I pulled the carpet and found the dining room has a nice, flat, 5/8" plywood on top. Below that is 1/2" osb, made by Huber Engineering, which I can read from under the crawlspace. Everything is in good shape.

My problem is when I get into the hall and living room. They used 5/8" particle board underlayment on top of the 1/2" osb. Everything is in good shape and the flooring feels solid. However, in the entry hall the particle board had edge swell so I pulled it in that section. So far I've decided to leave the particle board in the living room, since it feels good and will be covered again by carpeting.

Does it sound reasonable enough to leave the remaining particle board or could that be a big mistake? It worries me a little that it is on a 1/2" subfloor.

I'm also not sure what to patch with. I was sure I would use CDX, but I've read some sites that say that really isn't suitable. And how smoothly sanded of a surface do you need for carpeting with 8 lb pad?

Suitable 5/8" flooring products are difficult to find at the big box stores. The plywood is DD grade from what I can tell. They do have 5/8" OSB (Georgia Pacific Blue Ribbon) that is edge protected, but nothing else. I have yet to visit my local lumber yard where I may be able to get 5/8" flooring specific products such as Advantech and it's ilk.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm certain I'm overthinking this. Overthinking is something I'm great at doing. :-)

Sponsored Links

NC

06-04-14, 12:02 PM   #2  
BTW, the joists are 16" oc.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

06-04-14, 02:13 PM   #3  
If you are floating a floor over particle board, as long as it is sound, you probably need not replace. However, now is the time should you be inclined. Its a subfloor, so don't worry about it being super smooth for either laminate or carpet & pad. You will not notice the imperfections. If needed, you can use a floor patch such as Level Quick found at the box stores to smooth rough areas or feather transitions.

NC

06-08-14, 09:13 AM   #4  
Thank you for the response czizzi.

sgtp

Search this Thread