Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Removed old carpet and floor is heaving in line with stairway

Removed old carpet and floor is heaving in line with stairway

Old 06-09-14, 09:09 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
[Duplicate thread] Removed old carpet and floor is heaving in line with stairs

Hello,
Im currently renovating the main floor on my older home (built in the 70s) and the next step is tiling everything. As i was ripping out some older carpet i noticed the floor was heaving right in line with the stairway, i cut out a peice of the subfloor but its still out of level i believe there is a telepost right underneath. I just wanted to get some opinions on how to approach this situation, and what may have caused this problem? Please let me know if u need anymore information this is my first time posting on the forums. Ive attached some pictures
Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 06-10-14, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 759 Upvotes on 664 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is one side heaving or is the other side sagging? I'd suspect that the low side is settling. Hard to say why from here, could be a structural issue or possibly foundation.

Old 06-10-14, 03:44 AM
Received 678 Upvotes on 601 Posts
I would use luan (heavily nailed every 3 inches) or floor leveler to even it out. It probably was like that from the start and knowing that carpeting was being used it made little difference to fix it. As long as it's firm and stable I would not worry about it.

Old 06-10-14, 05:36 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Looks like you have 1/4" or 3/8" ply over your plank flooring. Not stiff enough in my opinion for tile. You need to remove the top layer and replace with 3/4" T&G Advantech (or similar) subfloor. The thicker material will bridge the gap and smooth out the transiton. You then will install 1/4" cement backer board set in a troweled bed of thinset and screwed to the subfloor.

If you have the size and spacing and span information on the floor joists that is an important factor as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: