Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing nails from door frame

VA

06-12-14, 01:24 PM   #1  
removing nails from door frame

hi
I am having issues putting in new bifold closet doors. The previous doors were sliding doors and there was a piece of trim hiding the track...
I removed the trim to allow for bifold doors but there are several nails sticking out of the door frame.
The problem is I have no access to the top of the nails to remove them...they are coming from the top of the door frame and I believe covered by drywall.

Is there any way to remove these nails without completely taking apart the door frame?
I've attached pictures to hopefully give you a better idea...there are nails in the side and top of door frame.

Thanks

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

06-12-14, 01:27 PM   #2  
Cut them off (hacksaw), use a punch to set them just below the surface, then putty the holes.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-12-14, 02:07 PM   #3  
I agree! I'd probably use an electric saw or pneumatic cut off wheel but maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age. A good stout wire cutter would also work.

btw - welcome to the forums!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

06-12-14, 02:56 PM   #4  
Or you could snip them with a pair of lineman pliers and then use the nail set to push them back into their holes and putty over. Simple repair really, lots of options. You can even try hammering them all the way back although they will probably hit something, so cutting first is advised.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

06-12-14, 09:15 PM   #5  
The Ax Blade, in a sawsall cuts anything.

Search this Thread