Adding closet using part of garage

Old 06-16-14, 03:50 AM
Adding closet using part of garage

I need help.. I'm handy and can do most things- but I am a lay person and need advise- we are converting a family room into a bedroom - we plan on converting the back 4 feet of the garage into a closet... I have to:
1. Create a doorway
2. Raise the floor of the garage to make it level with the new bedroom ( currently we step down 2 stairs into the garage from the house)
3. Build 1 wall between new closet and garage ( the other walls are finished with Sheetrock already...)
4: create a ceiling ( thinking about putting a drop ceiling in as the would just seem easiest...)
My big dilemma is with number 2... How do I do this... What precautions do I need to take... The garage has a crack and water enters in front portion - the part we are using has no water issues... It is a concrete slab as the basement does not extend under the garage...
Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-14, 04:22 PM
Temporarily Suspended
How high does the raised floor have to be & what are the other measurements, of the proposed closet? Don't forget to insulate the walls & the floor, of the closet.

Old 06-18-14, 03:14 AM
The floor needs to be raised 1 1/2 feet to meet existing floor dimensions of closet would be appx. 4x8 - should I add vapor barrier to floor? What's the best way to do that? And what type if is vulgarian is recommended between concrete floor and closet sub floor?

Old 06-18-14, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And what type if is vulgarian is recommended between concrete floor and closet sub floor?
If you are using a voice recognition program, please proof read it first. Do you know what a "vulgarian" is?

I would just build a platform frame using pressure treated lumber for a base plate, with studs and top plate just like you were building a regular wall. Lay in your Advantech subflooring and build your necessary walls on top of that. You will need to insulate under the floor and enclose it with access.

Old 06-18-14, 05:36 AM
Make sure you have the appropriate sheet rock thickness to provide the necessary fire resistance between the closet and the garage area(5/8"?). The framing under the garage also and possibly the ceiling.

Dick