Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

OSB+T&G+wall construction

TX

06-24-14, 05:56 AM   #1  
OSB+T&G+wall construction

I'm building a 12x32 workshop. Ground is covered with 6 mil plastic. Subfloor is 19/32" OSB, covered with roof felt for moisture barrier, then 23/32" T&G plywood. The T&G plywood will eventually get painted or covered in vinyl flooring. I've made it through all the foundation (piers and beams) work - and am just about ready for the perimeter and floor joists.

My question is: Should the walls be built on top of the OSB - with the T&G cut back to occupy just the "inside"? Some forums have suggested the T&G needs to float due to expansion/contraction.

Or do I just lay both the OSB and the T&G and build the walls on top of both?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-24-14, 06:21 AM   #2  
Something doesn't make sense you've installed the subfloor but not the floor joists
I'd erect the walls before installing a 2nd layer of plywood. IMO one layer of 3/4" plywood is plenty good enough for a shop floor.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TX

06-24-14, 06:31 AM   #3  
just making sure my ducks are in a row before I do any flooring over the joists.....

I'll finish up the perimeter (double all the way around) and floor joists, and solid blocking today/tomorrow.....then the flooring. Hence wondering if the walls should sit atop just the OSB or the OSB+ the plywood.

But it would be nice to figure out how to build the roof on the ground - and THEN set it on top with just two guys! LOL! Ten foot down seems much more perilous than it did 30 years ago....

Last edited by txtown; 06-24-14 at 06:57 AM.

Search this Thread