Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Under Staircase - What Can I Remove?

TN

07-03-14, 08:40 AM   #1  
Under Staircase - What Can I Remove?

Ok, sorry for cell phone pictures that are terrible quality, portrait, and big.

This is the staircase and wall in question. The wall is just 1/4" paneling. Nothing special. To the left of it is the door in the below picture.

This is all a small closet under my steps that I'm having to remove to re-finish my basement.

Here's how it's all set up.
The green square up top are the floor joists. These are sitting on a steel poll which is inside the yellow box in between the 2x4s. The joists do not sit on top of anything in the red square. There is a gap there. The white area on the left is the side of the steps running from the floor to the joists.

Then there are these 2x4s that are mitered and connect to the steps. These are what I'm most unsure of. I don't think they are there for load bearing, I think they are just there to give the plywood on the other side something to nail into.

Does all this make any sense?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

NC

07-03-14, 08:57 AM   #2  
I'm not the framing guy but it might help if they know what you are trying to do. Finish a wall , add more space ????

TN

07-03-14, 09:15 AM   #3  
I have to remove everything to seal the slab floor. Then I plan on creating a little close and finishing the space under the stairs as bookshelves.

I know the frame of the door is independent of the stairs, what I need to figure out is if those 2x4s running the length of the stairs are load bearing or not.

TN

07-04-14, 05:08 AM   #4  
Stairs

We would need to see the stair stringers.

Search this Thread