Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Leveling Floor

TX

07-06-14, 06:57 AM   #1  
Leveling Floor

I have two rooms in an office setting. One room has a VCT tile floor and the other room has glue-down carpet. The 2 rooms have a strip of rubber threshold in between them.

On the tile floor room I want to lay down a new color of VCT tile directly on top of the existing VCT tile. I will glue the new VCT tile directly on top of the old VCT tile.

On the carpeted floor room, I want to rip up the carpet and lay down new VCT tile.

My question is that I feel the height of the floors in the 2 rooms will be different. The pile height of the room with carpet will only be 1 pile of VCT tile - but the pile height of the tile floor room will be equal to 2 piles of VCT tile.

How exactly can I equalize the heights? I do not wish to remove the old VCT tile as this is a lot of work (that room is very large). I would like to know how to increase the height of old carpeted floor room to equalize the height of the tile floor room.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

07-06-14, 02:42 PM   #2  
Will a 1/4" of Luan work?

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

07-07-14, 06:09 AM   #3  
I would not worry about the differences in height. You are going to have a threshold between the two floors anyway which will be thicker than the floors are. The small 1/8" height differential is minimal by all standards and should not be a trip hazard of any concern. Rarely are two floors of different materials the same height.

Search this Thread