Sistering to trusses

Old 07-25-14, 01:19 PM
Sistering to trusses

Hello all,
I have a post on the plumbing forum and I am adding this one in conjunction with problems I am facing as I get more into this project. Rotten subfloor from toilet leak has ruined an 18" by 18" section of my subfloor. After removing the rotten plywood I am going to need to sister some 2by material so I can put blocking in to properly reinforce the floor before I put new subfloor down and tile also. My question is what type of 2by material should I use. These are 18" tall trusses and they do not cross any type of major span beside the six foot wide hallway. Will 2x8's work or should I use 2x10's? and for the blocking will 2x6's work okay or should I up it to 2x8's? I have a 2' x 2' hole in my hallway ceiling so I can get pretty much any size into the space I just do not want to use the wrong size wood since it will need to be solid. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-14, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing these are the kind of web truss that is made of 2x4's laying flat? I would imagine that 2x8's would work fine, assuming that you'll be able to attach them to the sides of the web trusses to reinforce them. How badly damaged is the top chord of the web truss? I wouldn't mind seeing a picture. If it's rotted through that would not be good.

Old 07-25-14, 08:10 PM
Yes they are 2x4's laying flat, the top of one is drying off. It is just superficial, I pressed down on it and it did not give at all. It still feels strong so I am not too worried about it.