Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Had to remove part of my subfloor, now I have NO idea what to do...please help!

Old 07-25-14, 06:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey all...I am remodeling my shower and have run into a problem. The subfloor was rotted so I removed it and am adding a new subfloor. I bought the plywood, and planned to put a nailing edge on the left and right sides where the old plywood sticks out slightly to support the new plywood.

HOWEVER, I am worried about the left and right walls. Since I've cut the plywood, I am worried that they dont have enough support. Underneath them is just an empty space; the joists to the left and right side of the left and right walls, respectively, are a few inches away. How can I support the walls better? Here is an image of what I'm talking about (I know the idiots cut the joist to fit the drain; I plan on sistering it).

Thanks SO much!

Old 07-26-14, 04:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,849 Upvotes on 1,655 Posts
The walls on the left and right of your shower are probably not load bearing. They're probably nailed to the subfloor just to hold them in place. In hindsight with a repair like your's I try to cut the subflooring down the center of the joists. If the rot went beyond the joists then you didn't have much choice.

If you can I would install blocking perpendicular to the joists in those bays under the walls. This would provide support to the edges of the subflooring and extra support for the walls (even though it doesn't look like it's needed (belt & suspenders)). It's probably too tight to swing a hammer unless you have a pneumatic palm nailer but you might have room to get in there with a cordless screw driver and screw the blocking in place.

If that won't work you can screw a 2x4 flat wise to the bottom of the old subflooring with half the 2x4 protruding to provide a ledge to rest the new plywood. Then screw down through the new ply into the 2x4 to tie them together.

Old 07-26-14, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Door #2, except make it a flat 2x6 and drive 3" decking screws through the plate into the plate.

Old 07-26-14, 09:49 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! Is it better to screw the 2x6 into the base of the frame of either side? Seems like it'd be more secure than screwing and gluing it into the plywood.

What does adding blocking actually involve? Do I just push the wood in there as tight as I can and then screw it in with joist hangers or something?

Old 07-26-14, 11:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The 2x6 I was suggesting you would hold flat under the existing plywood along the length of the ply edge and screw through the wall plate, through the plywood, and into the 2x6. Leave a lip for your new plywood to rest on

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: