Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floor Joists that are close together

MD

07-29-14, 07:19 PM   #1  
Floor Joists that are close together

I have a large unfinished basement with easily 50+ floor joists. Most of them are a standard distance apart but at a couple places they are only 2" apart. If you look at the attached picture you can see 2 instances of this. Is this indicate some kind of extra structure? I know you can sister joists by wasn't sure what a small gap like that meant.

I'm looking into removing a wall on the floor above parallel to these joists. It runs parallel to the joists but at the end has a slight 1.5 'L' that appears to cross over one of these close together joists. Trying to figure out if that's just cosmetic to match up with a door opening or if there's something structural going on.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

07-29-14, 07:45 PM   #2  
Without being able to be there to completely inspect the framing and get the big picture, its almost impossible to say. But I would suspect that it's something structural. Perhaps the load in that area was such that one joist was not going to be enough to hold it. They could be separated so as to run a vent pipe up the wall or something, for example- as described in R502.4.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

07-31-14, 08:06 AM   #3  
1.5 'L' that appears to cross over one of these close together joists
The close together joists you pictured normally support a wall directly above as you stated. If you figured the joists are 2" apart, this would mean the measurement to the far outside of the 2 close joists would be 5". This is where your sill plate of the wall above would rest.

I can't see it, but an "L" shape, Two 2 x 4's nailed at a right angle, are normally to support another wall that continues on in a direct line of this wall. (In the next room).

Your problem is not these joists in the basement. If you want to remove a wall, you must look in the attic. Look above the wall you want to remove, not below it. If you look above, you will most likely find it is load bearing and it cannot be removed.

One way to tell if a wall is load bearing is this:

If the ceiling joists above run perpendicular to it and rest on it.

Search this Thread