rotted subfloor, adjacent shower

Old 08-03-14, 08:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rotted subfloor, adjacent shower

Good evening all.
I have decided it was time to pull the floor up in my guest bathroom, and upon getting to the shower, I found that it was rotted-- all the way through.
My subfloor is OSB, 5/8"-3/4" thick.
I'm on a TGI truss system, from 2000.
Beneath the TGI, there are std 4x10 beams which run the length of the house, which sit on systematically placed piers.
I have not yet gone beneath the house to examine the underside of the subfloor wood.
The rot does go all the way through. I've cleaned up everything, and pushed on the wood, because the rot went at least halfway through the wood. My hammer's claw penetrated all the way through, with hardly any pressure.

I'm a retired sheet metal journeyman, so I'm familiar with trade practices, and have helped someone else replace their subfloor, but it was beneath the toilet, which was easily moved.

At this point, my thoughts were to go below, with a flashlight, and check how bad, and the spread of the rot. If I'm able, I'm planning on cutting a chunk of subfloor-- spanning to C/L of joists, and perhaps putting some backing in.

My concern is that it goes too far into the shower pan space, and I will have to remove the shower pan. My question at this point is-- has anyone had to do this? If so-- what was your tactic for repairing this?

The shower pan is a fiberglass pan, with tile walls. I'm thinking I might be able to remove the lower course of tile, and disconnect the drain, and remove the nails/pan.

The side of the shower which opens-- not the pivot side-- is where the rot is.

TYIA for your helps. I'll see if I can post some photos.

Old 08-04-14, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It sounds like you have the right idea. Your first step is to go underneath and confirm the extent of the damage but you may have to remove the shower pan. In some cases I have been able to remove the floor sheeting outside the tub/shower and the rotten from underneath the pan. Use a reciprocating saw to cut off the nails and slide fresh sheeting in without having to remove the pan.

I almost always replace floor sheeting with a premium OSB product like Advantech. It is stronger than plywood and regular OSB and is highly moisture resistant. Just be ready when you pick it up as it's extremely heavy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: