how to level my ceiling?

Old 08-08-14, 02:50 PM
S
Sip
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to level my ceiling?

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of a kitchen gut. 10'x10' kitchen. The floor was out of level from settling, and the ceiling is too. But strangely, not as much as the floor.

It's a 1909 philly row home. Ceiling joists are also cantilever joists for room above. They run with the home, instead of perpendicular to it.
They drop about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. I originally thought I'd by 12' x 2"x4" and nail one end in to a joist, and then adjust the other till it was level. The problem is the existing joists have a bunch of twist to them.

So now I'm thinking I should run strapping perpendicular to the joists so my drywallers have a flat surface to glue and screw to.

Do I just use 1" by 3" boards? Should I instead use 2"x4" laid flat? Also, Is shimming the easiest way to do this?
I understand a masonry line and nails to find level. But how does that work over the entire ceiling? Do I do a string for each joist?

Thanks!

Old 08-08-14, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Strapping would be your easiest solution, aside from fixing the sag properly from the foundation up. Strings are good, but a PLS laser or rotary laser would be better and easier to use.

Old 08-08-14, 03:39 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you think you can install suspended ceiling grid then check out "drywall suspended ceiling assembly". Theses systems are easy to install versus messing around with warped studs or strapping and a variety of shims.

You generally can get the material from any drywall or acoustical supply company.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: