Need help attaching Ledger

Old 08-24-14, 01:13 PM
Need help attaching Ledger

I remove the drywall where I wanted to attach a ledger and found on the other side was not great, I was expecting 2x4 every 16" on center but found triangular supports for the subfloor. and where I wanted to add the ledger where the top of the ledger is level with the existing subfloor. But the problem would be that I would only be able to add lags every 28" or so along a 10' length.
Name:  20140824_104953.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  37.0 KB

So I decided I could make the room step up so in the image you can see where I outlined in red where I now want to place the ledger, Do I have enough exposed or do I need to go up a bit more so lages will be in the studs, or is it sufficient that the lags go into the 2x4s that are sandwiching the subfloor in the image?

Two things then on this if there is an easy way to mount the ledger in the first position in blue in the image then the wall 90 degrees that you see open. where I want the ledger just below the subfloor, I want to attache the ledger there, but it is a stack of 2x6s that are nailed down in layers to an underlying 4x16 header. is it safe to mount a ledger to this stack of 2x6s or if I add some lags from the top down does it make it any safer or stronger?

Name:  20140824_105003.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  29.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-14, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome,
Can you step back and take a picture of the entire wall?
Whether I help you or someone else it would be nice to see.
What are you trying to do? Build a loft between walls, or some type of mezzanine?

Old 08-24-14, 06:29 PM
Yeah its a loft between 4 walls in my entry way, trying to reclaim some vertical space.

seemed it would be simple and would have been if my house was nice to me :-)

Here are several images to see the whole picture, as I opened it up around the perimeter

Name:  IMG_20140824_182237.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  22.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20140824_182244.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  22.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20140824_182252.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20140824_182258.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  19.4 KB

Old 08-25-14, 10:44 AM
the two walls on the long sides appear to be floor trusses, which I have been told I cannot lag into as they are not rated to handle any additional weight. but the shorter ends seem to have a mush more solid place to attach ledgers.

If I cannot attach ledgers to the sides is it possible to span the 10' with only joists running the 10' length? as if I were creating a hallway span across two floors between an open space.

Name:  another_floor_option.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  26.8 KB

Old 08-25-14, 11:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would like to help, but I don't think I can.
It looks like you want to run floor joists from wall under window to wall under short pony wall.
The wall under window appears as though it could bear additional loads.
The "wall" (beam) under pony wall appears to be attached to your main load carrying beam, which is supporting entire 2nd floor or most of it. There's no post at this intersection, which means the main beam is carrying even more load (which was designed).
This would need to be reviewed by an architect/structural engineer.

Old 08-25-14, 12:47 PM
yes the side with the pony wall has a huge like 4x18 or larger runs across the whole house it looks like

the side where the window is appears to be solid place to attach a ledger, but it looks like I will need to get someone to take a look as I feel like I am clearly lacking in the structural strength dept.

Hopefully I can get a good contractor to frame it all in nicely, then I can complete all the rest, I just really need someone to do the ledger/joists.

Anyone got a good suggestion in Las Vegas area?(Henderson actually)

Old 08-25-14, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
as I feel like I am clearly lacking in the structural strength dept
Most of us are. This can still be a DIY project, with plans in hand. That's the beauty of DIY projects, even if you need to invest in structural calculations and maybe a few drawings, you still have the opportunity to save quite a bit of money by doing it yourself.