Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need advice on whether to add a door frame or not

08-27-14, 05:26 PM   #1  
Need advice on whether to add a door frame or not

Hi there, I just moved into a residential cottage. The previous owners made a bar area, which I converted into a bedroom. The only problem is I don't have a door. It's 77 inches tall by 30 3/4 inches wide. There's also a half inch of wooden trim which cannot be removed. Should I add a frame? or can I get away with just a little bit longer screws, since the wood sounds pretty solid to the knock.
Here is a gallery of the doorway: http://imgur.com/a/JwYC7

edit: woops whether**

Last edited by Adrian Telfer; 08-27-14 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-27-14, 06:20 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! You may be able to get a 28" prehung door in the opening, but some of the framing will need to be leveled out. Note on one wall you have a wide wall opening with trim on both sides, and on the other side you only have a 1x3 trim board. Add to the trim boards to make a 4 1/2" or so wide landing place for the new door frame. I don't see how you will be able to use stock trim pieces to trim the door out, so if it comes with trim, you may have to remove and discard it, and install narrower trim. Your door opening of 77" will also require you trim 4" or so off the bottom of the frame and door so it will fit.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-28-14, 04:08 AM   #3  
It's not available in a prehung [you'd have to build your own frame] but a mobile home door would also be an option - they come in 76" heights.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Super Moderator

AZ

08-28-14, 09:01 AM   #4  
Fixed the title for you....................

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

TX

08-28-14, 10:28 AM   #5  
You can also use an accordion door. They can usually be cut shorter and don't need a frame.

Safety question: Does the room have a suitable window for egress?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Search this Thread