Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Need advice on whether to add a door frame or not

Old 08-27-14, 05:26 PM

Hi there, I just moved into a residential cottage. The previous owners made a bar area, which I converted into a bedroom. The only problem is I don't have a door. It's 77 inches tall by 30 3/4 inches wide. There's also a half inch of wooden trim which cannot be removed. Should I add a frame? or can I get away with just a little bit longer screws, since the wood sounds pretty solid to the knock.
Here is a gallery of the doorway: http://imgur.com/a/JwYC7

edit: woops whether**

Last edited by Adrian Telfer; 08-27-14 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-14, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You may be able to get a 28" prehung door in the opening, but some of the framing will need to be leveled out. Note on one wall you have a wide wall opening with trim on both sides, and on the other side you only have a 1x3 trim board. Add to the trim boards to make a 4 1/2" or so wide landing place for the new door frame. I don't see how you will be able to use stock trim pieces to trim the door out, so if it comes with trim, you may have to remove and discard it, and install narrower trim. Your door opening of 77" will also require you trim 4" or so off the bottom of the frame and door so it will fit.

Old 08-28-14, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not available in a prehung [you'd have to build your own frame] but a mobile home door would also be an option - they come in 76" heights.

Old 08-28-14, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Fixed the title for you....................

Old 08-28-14, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
You can also use an accordion door. They can usually be cut shorter and don't need a frame.

Safety question: Does the room have a suitable window for egress?