Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Replacing Rotted subfloor and sole plate in bathroom

Old 08-27-14, 09:49 PM

I am the process of fixing subfloor problems caused by a leaking shower in the second floor bathroom. One section that is rotted extends under the sole plate to the other side of the wall. I need to replace the subfloor from this side to about 2 inches on the other side, and this section of sole plate. To male things fun, that black pipe is a natural gas pipe and the shower water pipes are on the left. Oh Joy. The wall is not load bearing. I have been in the attic several times and visually seen the top plate. In fact I have sat on it and laid across it while installing a bathroom fan.

Not sure how to proceed. to replace this small section of sole plate and the subfloor that extends underneath it. Because of additional rot, and the need to relocate the shower drain, I will be removing a section that extends behind the picture about 4 feet and two the left to the next joist where this sections seam is.

I am just experienced enough to know I should ask for help on this one.

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1886
Size:  42.4 KBName:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 3757
Size:  37.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would worry about what you can see and disregard that which is under the wall itself. The area in question is between wall studs so it is holding absolutely nothing up. Replace the damaged floor in each room and don't worry about what goes underneath.

What type of finished flooring are you returning with? I would recommend an additional 3/4" T&G Advantech to make the floor nice and stiff for whatever your new flooring will be.

Old 08-28-14, 04:47 PM
This was under the front corner of my shower pan. A broken tile flange on the pan had allowed small leaks since the house was built in 1992. These areas will be replaced with a 3/4 OSB and the shower pan will go on top. I am debating about putting 1/4 Hardi Board on top of the new OSB to bring the height up. I will be doing that for the rest of the bathroom along with Ditra when I tile it.

Is there any advantage to treating the sole plate and under it with a borax wash, or a wood
hardener (not filler)?

Looks like our local Home depot carries Advantec OSB tongue and groove.

Old 08-29-14, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hardi or Ditra, but not both, that is redundant. Add 1/2" ply if height is needed, it will also stiffen your floor and make for a better overall sub structure for your tile.

You can treat if it makes you feel better, but once you stop the moisture, the area should dry out on its own and not harbor any mold.